August 24, 2020
RE: Announcement on available COVID-19 CARES Act dollars distributed through the CROSS MHDS Region
I am pleased to announce the plan for the distribution of the $746,392 in funding from the Coronavirus Relief Fund (CRF) under the CARES Act as part of funds distributed by the Governor of the State of Iowa. These dollars were provided to the CROSS MHDS Region for necessary expenditures incurred due to the public health emergency with respect to the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) and must be utilized in a manner which complies with the requirements of the CARES Act CRF and other applicable state and federal laws. The funds are to be used for expenditures not accounted for in the FY21 region budget and incurred between March 1, 2020 and December 30, 2020. The funds are not to be utilized for expenses reimbursed from another source.
On behalf of the CROSS MHDS Region, I invite mental health and disability service providers located in our region as well as school districts, which have their district office located within one of our region member counties, to apply for this grant opportunity. Rather than dictate what these grant funds could be used for, the region would request the providers and districts identify their needs and ideas. These dollars must be for COVID-19 related services and must have a mental health or disability services component. Dollars cannot be used for items for which you already budgeted or that are covered or billable to other funders.
Following is a list of ideas that might be considered and serve to help create additional creativity as you consider your application:
- Mental health and wellness coaching for professionals in our schools, healthcare, law enforcement, and direct MHDS providers
- Enhancements to telehealth technology and availability to clients through equipment loans
- Enhancements to safety and security in providing direct outpatient mental health services
- Projects to enhance student coping skills
- Direct Care provider staff training to deal with their own and client isolation
- Personal Protection Equipment and physical plant enhancements to reduce spread of virus
- Hazard pay to direct care staff (with specific details about risk)
- Mental health coaching for families anxious to send children back to school
- Expansion of services necessary due to COVID (need more of something or more time spent because of COVID)
- Cost of onboarding additional mental health professionals
- Program and physical plant enhancements to make it easier for community service providers to accept new individuals into their service.
The first round of grants must be received by the region by September 4, 2020. Grant dollars still available will be announced after September 14, 2020 and the grant process may open again at that time.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me by phone at 641-828-2238 ext 241 or by email at Rachel.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Grant applications should be submitted via email to Rachel.email@example.com.
Thank you for considering a submission for these grant dollars as we look forward to reinforcing your work in supporting the mental health of our communities during this unprecedented time of stress and anxiety caused by this pandemic.
Rachel Cecil, CEO
CROSS MHDS Region
Follow the link for the full application; https://crossmentalhealth.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/CARESFundingApplication.docx